It Was a Birthday

Sun
I put on my fancy black skirt, the ankle-length billowing thing
with golden stripes all over
my large chessboard pattern ear studs
and a simple white collared shirt I didn’t iron
because I hate ironing
and I don’t mind some wrinkles
but it’s not that bad.

At the café the sun yellows the whole space
pouring through the windows the morning sun,
final days of summer in Finland
the marble tabletop cluttered with debris from our grand breakfast
consisting of fresh pineapple chunks
pumpkin seeds and strawberry jam
cucumbers sliced thick and oval
as if they were going someplace in a hurry
watermelon and honeydew and different cheeses
and of course cake and bread baked with raisins
but you don’t like raisins in a bread
I take some, though, to celebrate.

We are drinking our third cup of coffee
I think about the small humorous note
on display at my workplace with Darth Vader
and the words “Come to the Dark Side, We Have Coffee”
I have my journal you are reading
Sam Shepard’s plays
because he died and that makes you sad.  

It is your birthday but
I have always been a terrible cake baker
I am a fabulous eater, though, and today
I am treating you to a fancy breakfast
wearing my fancy black skirt, the ankle-length billowing thing
with golden stripes all over
there is some prosecco waiting for us back home, cooling in the fridge
and while we are driving I touch your beard under your chin
I put on some music
Regina’s Paras aika vuodesta
it’s about August
I caress your right ear the way I do when we are driving
and tell you happy birthday.

The sky is blue some clouds but the sun is out the sun is out
it is a warm morning
kesän taittuessa vähitellen syksyksi/as summer slowly dissolves into fall
the lake sparkles and the yellow August light is inside the car
if you shut down the news
you might even say it’s a wonderful day.


Words in italics from Paras aika vuodesta, by Regina, lyrics by Iisa Pykäri; translation is mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tropic of Cancer

One More, With Feeling – What Is Love If Not Shopping For Vintage Clothes?

Urgent Mothering

Driver's License, Liquor License & License to Kill

Get Back, Honky Cat – Rocketwoman

Floor it! – Keanu Reeves’ Slow Hurry into Magnificence

Buffy Reboot Did Happen, After All - And It’s John Wick, Everybody!

Eat Your Artichoke, Lorelai

Hijinks, Party of One! (The Woman Standing in the Middle of the Road, Holding A Bowl Full of Fish)