Montmartre, Mon Amour, Here I Come!

Dear Diary. Just kidding.

Let’s rephrase: dear friend. The time is quickly approaching, that magical time of the year, when I dive into that fabled rabbit hole and hopefully come back out, yet once more, a changed woman. This will be my fourth trip to Paris in as many years. Only now, the biggest difference to all those previous wonderful excursions into the heartland of my damn writer’s soul, if you’ll excuse the cliché, or, Clichy, as we say in French haha, is that this time the fact that I won’t be able to bring along my huge ancient dinosaur of a laptop is possibly going to create a huge problem.

Taking into consideration, that this piece of writing will mark my seventy-second entry on the site in a little over eight months, I really should have no problem at all leaving my computer behind for two weeks and just enjoy the time, the atmosphere, the excruciating heat, the greengrocers’ stands, and walking those gorgeous old streets with my man. The only thing is, I haven’t taken two weeks off since I started this, and there is a small part of me who is freaking out over the fact.

My man has been marveling at my writing speed this past winter and summer. I, too, had no idea just how overwhelmingly much I would love doing this, how many extremely important things I would have to say, how many stories I would have to tell, and how intoxicating the writing life has become, although I should have had some inkling, being a lifetime diarist and an amateur short story writer. I have had some days that the story has been a difficult one, or I have had to write and rewrite to be happy with the piece. But, honestly, most of the stories have more or less gushed out of me. As if finally I have found my outlet, after many a year trying to find the right way, my way, to write, and the medium, or portal, that suits my style and my narrative voice and my skill and passion and my desire for the kind of stories I write.

This is it, friends. This is it. And that’s why taking two weeks off seems scary. What if I finally lose my marbles when all I have is my long-hand and my journal? Lord knows those were few and far between as it was. Then again, writing my journal has really been left on the back burner all this time. I have made a special effort to keep it going, since for so many years that was all I got, but in the end, one has to leave some stuff behind, for a while at least. There just isn’t time for everything, not enough hours in a day, even with my sleeping, or PAS DU TOUT -sleeping, like we say in French ha ha.

Insomnia is a bitch, and I have been worrying, in addition to not being able to bring along my magic device for typing and losing myself in the music the moment and the flow of writing, that trying to enjoy Paris half-dead will be a lot more stress than for example last year, when I was still on my meds like a good girl. I don’t know, we’ll just have to see how it goes.

Somehow I think the second I step on French soil, though, I won’t bother one bit about not sleeping, but only about getting jazzed on the aroma of holiday and freedom, excellent croissants and wine, seeing and visiting my neighborhood bookstore again, and my coffee shop, and the park we like to go to on days when there is no definite plan, just to hang out and watch the lunch crowd eat their salads and baguettes, the nannies with babies, runners circling the outer skirts of the park, old men reading their newspaper and enjoying a game of pétanque. Even my doctor used to tell me she would go to Paris twice a year, to breathe, was her own word it. She retired this spring, so who knows, maybe she’s there right now, eating cherries and mille-feuilles and drinking café-crèmes at Café Deux Moulins, with Amélie.

Just writing about it now makes my stomach start rumbling over the delicious belle aromes and pains-au-chocolat and plums the size of apples and different colored tomatoes that we just don’t have in Finland, lest some supermarket gets a special batch and sells it five euros for four pieces, robbing us food lovers blind, but still I have no other option than to buy.

Speaking of high prices, I overheard a piece of discussion on a bus the other day in Tampere. A young pair of friends sat right behind me, a man and a woman, and they were marveling at the price of strawberries this year. The man told the woman he had been eyeing the berries at a produce stand at the market place, and reading the price tag, saying they were seven euros a box, the man said: “I was totally shocked: seven euros, are you kidding me? I was like ‘Dude, where’s my blowjob?’”

I thought it was incredibly funny. I think I smiled a wide smile, underneath my sunglasses, mentally earmarking the scene for later use. 

And on a different note, another short interaction, in the town near where my parents live:

We were doing some last minute shopping, father and I, at a store specializing in spices and condiments and hot sauces and rice and sushi paraphernalia and candy et cetera; it is one of the few special stores I still feel it is worth the trouble of riding into town for in the otherwise rude and closed-off town I had grown to hate as a young adult. I always buy my Himalayan pink crystal salt, my vanilla sugar, my baking soda, and my black peppers, everything of which they sell in bulk, there, and always feel happy and excited and like a true food lover after having shopped in the small and crowded place where you have to move carefully in the small space between the stacks of rice, the soy sauce cases, the boxes of Kouvola liquorice waist high, the bags of different colored sprinkles, every type of pepper, chia seeds, pine seeds, raisins, dried papayas, dried pineapples, dried what-have-you, packs of noodles, endless varieties of different sorts of dried herbs and spices – it really is a treasure chest, and one of the best kept secrets in town.

I had just ventured inside with father, and was aiming for the liquorice stacks, because we were going to the movies. It was three to five, so we were cutting it a bit close, but the kind proprietor told us not to worry, she wouldn’t kick us out. I took one of the liquorice bags in hand for closer inspection, when in came a young man in his early twenties in an obvious rush, with sagging jeans and white headphones resting not on his ears but on his forehead.

“I’m looking for the blueberry flavored – are you the vendor?” he said to me.

“No, I’m not, she just went back there, but I can get her for you –“ I started, when he cut me off: “No, that’s fine, just leave me the fuck alone.”

I raised both my hands up in a no skin off my back -gesture and gave him a wide berth as he rushed along the aisles to find whatever it was that he wanted.

And by the way, the movie? It was The Dark Tower. I’m still mulling over as to what to say about it, but perhaps this will suffice for now: Alas, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Never Came.

Those of you in the know will know what I mean.

But back to Paris. Yes, this is good-bye for now. But not for long, and I will be back, hopefully well-rested, rejuvenated, refreshed, re-fallen in love with life and eating and those lovely parks and long walks and myself the way I seem to be every time I return home. The city herself will need no re-falling, nor will my man, but of course being in The City of Lights with a great love makes both her, and them, seem even more beautiful, alluring, sexy, eternal, and special.

On the left, and below this piece, one can find links to the most popular stories on the site. I love all those stories, but in case there are some readers who have already read all of those, and haven’t been along for the whole ride, here are some of my own favorites from the archives:

On pasta, and eating: Delicious Demon

On aging, and getting with the program: New Year: The Letter

On the hardships of falling in love, and into sickness: Thank You Naivety, For Failing Me Again

On families, clothes, and sisterly love: Mimou’s Jackets: Emotional Personification

On Florence + The Machine: Cartwheels in Your Honor

On childhood, dreaming, and being a daughter: Watercolor Moment

On Alice Hoffman, and magical realism: How to Make an Influential Pancake

On headtroubles, and more specifically, Borderline Personality Disorder: Over the Borderline

On trying to lose weight: 7k – Just Undo It

On having period: Cycle of the Werewolf



Among others, but maybe those will do for now.

I love you. See you soon. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tropic of Cancer

One More, With Feeling – What Is Love If Not Shopping For Vintage Clothes?

Urgent Mothering

Driver's License, Liquor License & License to Kill

Get Back, Honky Cat – Rocketwoman

Floor it! – Keanu Reeves’ Slow Hurry into Magnificence

Buffy Reboot Did Happen, After All - And It’s John Wick, Everybody!

Eat Your Artichoke, Lorelai

Hijinks, Party of One! (The Woman Standing in the Middle of the Road, Holding A Bowl Full of Fish)